How to Turn a Rented House into a Home
With these simple tips, you’ll be able to turn your rental house into a home. Small changes can make a big difference in creating a homely atmosphere in your rented house.
Often rental homes are seen just as a place to serve a purpose, and people living in them don’t want to spend time or money doing it up. However, the home plays an important role in our sense of self and our ability to recharge. We return to our homes each night, after presenting ourselves to the world for the day. Our homes serve a purpose of sanctuary and rest, so we should treat them accordingly and decorate them in a way that represents the important parts of ourselves.
These are some tips on how to make a rental house a home.
Asses the furniture that’s already in the house and what pieces you’ll be bringing in with you. Ask the landlord to remove what you don’t need.
2. With the furniture that you keep, rearrange it. This can make it feel more like your own place, with the furniture layout in the way you chose.
3. Remove the landlord’s art carefully and replace it with some of your own selection. Artwork, prints or personal photographs will make a huge difference to the space.
4. An important aspect of making any room more comfortable is the lighting. Adding a lamp or candles to your new place can be great for creating a more relaxed atmosphere at night.
5. Soft furnishings can really enhance the space and display more of your personality. Cushions, throws and rugs are your best friend! Often the rental will come with a couch and bed, but none of the extras. This is the perfect time to layer colours, patterns and soft textures making it much more homely. If your place came with cushions, you can simply remove the cushion covers and replace them with one of your own. N.B. if you’re switching out a cushion cover belonging to your landlord, remember to keep it safe somewhere to put back in place the day you move out.
6. Bring in some life with a plant. Greenery around the home can add colour and make the place feel alive, while also enhancing people’s moods and detoxing the air.